For this activity you will need:
- Potting mix
- A trowel
- A clear tall container with an open top – we used a cut off soft drink bottle
- A large seed – we used a broad bean seed as they grow quickly and are easy to see. Pea, sunflower, pumpkin and nasturtium seeds would also work well.
- Garden labels
- Using a trowel fill the container with potting mix.
- Push the large down into the potting mix along the side of the container.
- Lightly water the seed in. Do not use too much water as there aren’t any drainage holes in the container.
- Write the date and the name of the seed on some garden labels and push them into the potting mix.
- Place your container in a warm sunny spot. Check the seed each day to see how it is growing. You may also need to lightly water it occasionally if the potting mix dries out.
- What do you notice about the seed today?
- What did the seed need to grow?
- How long did it take for roots to appear?
- What do you think roots do?
- How long did it take for the seed to sprout above the surface of the soil?