At the time of year many gardeners have an abundance of zucchinis and start to wonder what on earth they can do with them all. I asked my fantastic followers on Facebook for their ideas and these are what they came up with:
- Made a meat and vege curry last night that included some thickly sliced zucchinis. Also love making zucchini slice and zucchini muffins:) – Karen
- If you grate the zucchini you can put it in just about anything. Bolognaise, lasagne, quiche, zucchini slice, sausage rolls, stir frys yum yum – Katrina
- Zucchini quiche is delicious 🙂 – Phoebe
- We make many jars of zucchini pickle/relish. Just chop up your zucch’s and pop in a pot with some spices, herbs, mustard seeds, sugar, vinegar and water… get to boiling and then simmer until it’s the consistency you like your relish to be 🙂 – Earth Angel Mumma
- In cooking – zucchini cake like carrot cake is always nice, also zucchini and pea fritters. We made zucchini racers for my son’s 5th birthday recently – Leonie
Here is a great photo and details of Leonie’s zucchini racers. Don’t they look like fun for the kids?
- We used wood wheels and axles, decorated and painted them and ‘raced’ them down a ramp – Leonie
A favourite recipe in this house for using up excess zucchinis is to make choc-zucchini muffins. This is a recipe I found and adapted from the All Recipes webiste.
- Preheat oven to 1800C.
- In a large bowl beat eggs. Beat in the sugar and oil. Add the cocoa, vanilla, zucchini and stir well.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Mix until just moist.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins filling 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- Finally, and most importantly, enjoy!