Here is a list of some edible flowers and their parts that kids can easily grow and eat:
- Lavendar leaves and flowers
- Marigold petals
- Nasturtium leaves and flowers
- Fuchsia flowers
- Sunflower seeds and petals
- Cornflower petals
- Rose petals
- Fruit blossom from apricot, pear and apple trees
- Vegetable flowers from pumpkin, zucchini and pea plants.
- Flowers from vegetables that have gone to seed such as rocket and brocolli
When eating flowers keep in mind the old saying ‘less is more’. Some flowers, such as lavender, have a very strong taste and it is often better to sprinkle a few individual flower petals through a salad or using a flower as a garnish rather than eating the whole flower.
Make sure all flowers are well washed before eating them and never eat flowers from florists, nurseries or supermarkets as there is a good chance that they have been sprayed with chemicals. It is best to use flowers from your own garden where you have more chance of knowing what is on them.
What edible flowers have you grown and/or eaten?